Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Common Core ELA

Today our curriculum coordinator shared the LDOE English Language Arts List of Text Sets 2014-2015.


I began to go through my classroom library to see how many of the books I already had.  I wanted to pull them, read them, and think about things I could do with them next year. I didn't understand why, out of the 60 titles, I only possessed five.  Just five!  I have A LOT of books in my classroom library.


So I sat down at my computer and began typing titles into  Accelerated Reader.
These are the books I have and they are very rarely picked up by one of my second grade students.


Title                         Reading Level
Cinderella                       5.1
The Ox Cart Man           4.5
Amazing Grace              3.5
The Little House            4.2
Charlotte's Web             4.5




The other books on the list ranged from 2.7 to 7.4. Only one book in the list was on  a second grade level, Fly Away Home by Eve Bunting.

There are 17 books that are listed as 'student copies'.  I assume that means there will be a copy for each second grader to hold in their hands.  The levels for those books are 2.7 (only one) -5.1.




I understand that the CCSS level books by Lexile, so I looked up the Lexile levels. Those range from 500L-1000L.  If I am reading this chart correctly https://www.lexile.com/about-lexile/grade-equivalent/grade-equivalent-chart/ , second graders should be reading 420L to 650L.


Using this chart, the 17 student copies range as follows:


  • None fall below 420L, five fall between, six are above 650L.


  • One selection is a poem (no Lexile available),  four stories have no Lexile level, and one is a wordless picture book.


  • The books listed as "Read Alouds" ranged from  The Kamishibai Man (600L) to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1000L).


  • Most of the "Read Alouds" are found online at Core Knowledge. I haven't had time to download them and read them.


  • There are ten selections that are listed as "Group (choice for independent reading)".  The levels for these are from 600L to 925L.


My concern.... I teach inclusion kids.  My class reading level is around a 2.4.  I have some reading on a first grade level and some reading on a third grade level.


What am I going to do?

1 comment:

  1. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption  for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact  .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete